About Dunrobin United Church

2701 Dunrobin Rd, Dunrobin ON K0A 1T0
Worship Services: Every 2nd Sunday at 8:15 am

Welcome

We add our prayers to those of generations reaching back to 1878 making our beautiful little white church a holy place to worship. The celebration of Christmas, Easter, and important moments in the Journey of faith such as baptisms and marriages are given special meaning by the intimacy of the worship space.

We have been blessed to be a sister church with St. Paul's United Church.

 

History of Dunrobin United Church

The Dunrobin United Church building was built in 1878 as a Methodist Church near the intersection of Dunrobin Rd. and March Rd. (the old Highway 17). By the end of the 1880's most of the members of the church lived in the Dunrobin area. This included the Kennedy family who lived across from the church in its original position, moved to the Dunrobin area, and continue as members of the church today. Henry Holbrook was hired to dismantle, transport, and reassemble the church in its present location in 1892.

The church began as part of a four point circuit of Fitzroy Harbour, Ninth Line of Fitzroy, Epworth and Dunrobin served by a minister living in Fitzroy Harbour. Each Sunday one of the four church services would be held without the minister. In 1913 a circuit was formed of the three smaller churches of Ninth Line, Epworth, and Dunrobin and a house was purchased for a minister near the Ninth Line Church.

On June 10, 1925 the United Church of Canada formed by the joining of all the Methodist and Congregational churches and seventy percent of the Presbytery churches in Canada. Unions of denominations were common at the time in Canada, Australia and the United States because it allowed the pooling of resources for mission work in these large countries that were experiencing ongoing settlement. At this time Dunrobin was served by ministers from the Methodist church in Carp. By 1929 both churches had joined the United Church of Canada and had become a two point pastoral charge together.

The beauty and intimacy of this beautiful little building continues to inspire people to come together as church in worship, in care for each other, and in service to their community and the world.

Ministers Who Have Served

As a four point circuit (1878-1913):
Reverends Topping, Wheatley, Wilson, Allum, Charlesworth and Pimlott

As a three point circuit (1913-1926):
Reverends Keough, Lawson, Street, Williams, Bromwich, Maitland and Brookour

As a two point with Methodist Church in Carp (1926-1929):
Reverends Codling and Shorten

After Union:
Reverend Eakin (1929-38), Matheson (1938-41 ), Johnson (1942-45), Taylor (1946-55), Atcheson (1955-62), Smith (1962-67), Boyd (1967-70), Styles (1970-87), Wilson (1 98788), Lipsett (1988-96), O'Brien (1996), Esty (1996-97), Moore (1997-2005), Baldwin (2006-2009), Sykes (2009-2010), Boivin (2010- )